Sunday, September 20, 2009

Football Player


Just trying something different with a portrait.

Most of my work is experimental because I am self-taught and didn't make any attempts to produce anything until after retirement. It may seem funky, but to me art is what you feel.  I was trying to find a new way to do portraits, rather than just focusing on a face.  But I will continue doing just faces.  Later this week I will post one I'm finishing of Sammy Davis, Jr.

I've tried doing portraits with watercolor but I cannot get the face colors right and end up losing all detail.   I really enjoy drawing with a pencil because it is so portable.

UPDATE  - I think the player's last name was Taylor.  I didn't know him and had never heard of him, but when I read his story after he was murdered, I was overcome with grief.  I couldn't get him out of my mind.  I saw strength in him and mountains represent strength to me.

2 comments:

  1. Portraits are tough. I've never been able to master them in any media, but watercolors are hardest. I agree. But, if anyone can do it, you can. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, here's the picture I saw in a flash and then it was gone. I really like the way you blend the face in with the landscape. It's like the person is rising up to appraise the surroundings and say, "This is good. This is mine."It's hard to believe you are self-taught. Thanks for your comments on my poem.

    ReplyDelete